1. We have a new discord server! Come join the fun at https://discord.gg/np76JyX

A BOLD LEAP AHEAD - Dedicated server and a NEW FORUM!

Discussion in 'Community Info & Announcements' started by IceQubed, Dec 23, 2014.

1. IceQubed

IceQubed IceMod Founder
    Staff Member Respected

As you should all know by now, Stu is setting up a dedicated server with a very large capacity for us to run gameservers. This server is professionally hosted and is completely dedicated for the IceMod community. With an i7, 32GB RAM and 480GB of SSD storage, it's a beast.

Due to Stu's new heavy involvement within the community and his record of being a great member, I'm proud to announce that he will be joining us as a forum moderator. This leads me on to my next big announcement...

After much discussion, I have decided that it may finally be time for a complete revamp of the website. We will start working on this in the new year - after the dedicated server has settled in and is working well. The new forum may well mean that all data on this website it lost. All user accounts, posts and forums. I will see if there is a way to import these, but it may be messy or more trouble than it's worth. Please leave suggestions of suitable forum / community software.

2. LuckyCharms

LuckyCharms Respected
    Respected Master Donator

Bootstrap is your friend.

3. IceQubed

IceQubed IceMod Founder
    Staff Member Respected

Bootstrap looks cool, but I'm not looking to create bespoke forum software.

4. Savaloy

Savaloy top warns kek
    Respected

B-B-B ut my forum post count! IT'S ALL RUINED :(

///EDIT

Add the forum tag idea! I think it's incredibly useful, and I found all the requirements for it! :D

5. TheDog

TheDog MonkeyButt

And maybe we could get that like idea aswell.

And gratz Stu, you worked hard, and you've earned it, best of luck.

6. Stu

Stu IceMod Technician
    Staff Member

*2 x i7s

7. WingEater

WingEater Forum cleaner and professional spambotbooter
    Staff Member Respected

Congrats Stu. :)

Bootstrap is not a 'finished product', but rather a platform that can be implemented in nearly every kind of website. It is a way to make a website responsive, a way to have to website scale to whatever device. You could probably, when upgrading to a newer piece of forum back-end, add Bootstrap to it. Bootstrap is contained into 5 CSS files and some JS, nothing fancy.

Ice did you have a system in mind already? Simple machines perhaps or Joomla/Drupal with forum modules?

8. Col. Mittens

Col. Mittens Respected
    Respected

Yay. Good luck and congratulations on the dedicated server.

#stuforcommunityadmin

9. Stu

Stu IceMod Technician
    Staff Member

TY

Most forum themes use bootstrap anyway. It makes modal dialogues, drop down menus, responsive layouts (etc.) a lot easier

We were chatting about it yesterday and we're gonna decide on that in the new year. In my opinion, I would like to run simplemachines. It's extremely reliable, easy to develop for, has a large community (plenty of addon developers), and is supports phpBB importing :p

10. Savaloy

Savaloy top warns kek
    Respected

Simple machines? As in the forum software which I used?

It's really shit and lacks customization.

11. Stu

Stu IceMod Technician
    Staff Member

That's because I forgot to give you FTP access so you could upload addons lol

12. Savaloy

Savaloy top warns kek
    Respected

-.- Okay then

But I still looked into more about SMF, there are known security flaws.

13. WingEater

Staff Member Respected

Good idea. Ideally you would use something that mixes 'normal' CMS with a forum back-end, but that is difficult.

14. IceQubed

IceQubed IceMod Founder
    Staff Member Respected

TBH I'm still not 100% convinced that it is a good idea to destroy all of our IceMod history and relocate to different forum software. It's a big decision to make, and I will only completely be convinced when somebody demonstrates several reasons that different forum software is better.

Please suggest recommendations of your desired software and why it is better than phpbb - I still think this one is highly functional, easy to use and has our custom steam integration script.

15. Savaloy

Savaloy top warns kek
    Respected

I am struggling to see the issue with the current forums, it may be basic but it's customisable and works. I imagine it will continue working as things can be added to make it better.

Such as the like button idea and the tagging system.

16. LuckyCharms

LuckyCharms Respected
    Respected Master Donator

I'm not in any way saying what i'm about to say from a technical perspective but;
    I think it would be a good idea to start a new forum with the introduction of the dedi. It just shows, to me anyways, that Icemod is maturing as a community.

17. 1Day2Die

1Day2Die IceMod Deputy
    Staff Member

no you cant include like buttons and tagging systems. Official mods from the phpbb website are all outdated and searxhing aroudn on googlw and the world wide web do not provide up to date and working features at all

18. WingEater

Staff Member Respected

The concept 'forum' is outdated in its entirety. There are very few 'modern' forum CMS's. That's why I suggested moving to a CMS for web building with a proper forum module. However this is entirely dependent on what you want with IceMod. Do you wish to have a frontpage? Do you wish for easily made custom plug-ins and functionality (in HTML5 + CSS)? Maybe have a properly working community hub on all devices and not just computers (responsive/bootstrap)? Maybe even get some new members through providing quality content? Then do so. If you wish to keep this in all its glory as is, then don't change it. Maybe search for a more updated version of forum software.

Questions? Let them be known.
    Find me annoying? Let it be known. :p

19. IceQubed

IceQubed IceMod Founder
    Staff Member Respected

Ideally we would have a fully featured website based around a forum, but with lots of extra features. One example I really like is http://www.endeffectgaming.com/ - ts3 status, great interface, main page is news and has a gallery and calendar.

20. Stu

Stu IceMod Technician
    Staff Member

That's doable