1. Join our DarkRP Server!
  2. We have a discord server! Click me to join the fun

A BOLD LEAP AHEAD - Dedicated server and a NEW FORUM!

Discussion in 'Community Info & Announcements' started by IceQubed, Dec 23, 2014.

1. 1Day2Die

1Day2Die IceMod Deputy
    Staff Member

Priority one is the dedi! Get that running first before thinking anout a websote ffs

2. WingEater

WingEater Forum cleaner and professional spambotbooter
    Staff Member Respected

That is indeed entirely do-able. This would probably require a CMS like Joomla with a forum module. That last part might need some money thrown at it, but not too much. Great thing about Joomla is all the free stuff. Literally millions of free modules and plug-ins are available.

I would also like to recommend for the webhosting and the dedi to be separate. This has to do with availability and reliability. We will probably fuck something up on both and as a result be offline for a bit. Now it isn't cool to have 2/2 for IceMod go down. Another issue is the data limit, which isn't there on a webhosting plan, but might be limited with website traffic on the dedi (not enough). The company (OVH) also has fairly cheap webhosting plans with an auto-installer on it. This means that you could install Simple Machines or Joomla for IceMod, try it out and switch for PHBB again if it doesn't work out in a hearbeat. Rootnet, True and Helder have similar applications running.

3. IceQubed

IceQubed IceMod Founder
    Staff Member Respected

I'm planning on keeping the webhosting on a separate server to the game server for the reasons Wing mentioned above.

Here's the plan: After the new dedi is set up and working, I will work with a couple of volunteers who will help set up the new website. The current website will be active during the setup process (which will be happening on a new webhost). After the new website is ready to launch, I will switch the DNS of the icemod.net domain name to the new host, while retaining this website on the current host.

If we decide after a while that we miss all the old posts and accounts, or that the new system simply stops working - we will be able to simply restore the old DNS settings and continue as normal.

4. WingEater

Staff Member Respected

Hey Ice,

I would like to help you out with the website, would you accept my help?

Importing accounts should be possible, dependent on the programming capabilities of our members. If not I could, and this is a final measure, ask a few friends of mine who know something about HTML.

5. LuckyCharms

LuckyCharms Respected
    Respected

I know HTML/CSS, a bit of JS & JQ. I know the basic functionality of C++ and kinda C#, I have a bit of experience with Lua also. I know how to use bootstap (kinda mostly, if you're even going to do that). I don't know how much help I would be but if you need an extra hand i'm always here. c:
    Also I don't really want to stop typing cause I got a keyboard for Christmas with Cherry MX blue keys and they sound like a typewriter, it's just so so so so so satisfying to type. Like you seriously don't know how much I now love typing. I don't want to stop. Ever. D:

Cherry MX blue key type for those of you who don't know.
    [​IMG]

6. Stu

Stu IceMod Technician
    Staff Member

when I've got the dedi fixed (one error after anther ffs) I would love to help out.

7. WingEater

Staff Member Respected

Well with a good CMS there will be very little programming going on as most of it is easily managed from within the CMS. The task is to select the right add-on, configure it properly and if needed make adjustments. However creating custom add-ons is very time consuming, especially considering the question of compatibility. So there is no need to 'program' Bootsstrap and if there is we're doing something wrong. xD Knowledge of CSS is handy, but not that necessary and similarly is HTML not a prerequisite. It might be more important, and I am saying this from past experiences, to have good project management. Although if Ice chooses to do so we could create custom add-ons. :)

Once again.... TL;DR: I pray that we don't have to take the custom add-on route. xD

8. XeoN

XeoN Respected
    Respected Name Changed

Sorry for that little BUMP but I have something tell mods.
    Okay first I have recently made a "community" that I can't be bothered to do anything with it, so I can offer you that i will let you use that for testing for example and etc because for me its totally useless for now and I can get another one anyway for free so just tell me and will let you use it and btw (THIS IS NOT ADVERTISMENT!) here's the url: orbtech.tasb.eu My friend is hosting it so i have no problem with hosting another ones :)

9. Stu

Stu IceMod Technician
    Staff Member

Looks nice, but it's phpBB, and the idea was to get away from phpBB due to the difficulty to develop for it plus the fact it is massively unstable.

10. LuckyCharms

LuckyCharms Respected
    Respected

Just going to ask something (probably was gonna happen anyways).
    Can we keep the same color scheme as the current website? Don't really like the dark colors so much :p

11. WingEater

Staff Member Respected

I think that would a very wise move ... brand recognition and all. Plus: What is IceMod without icy colours? :p
    But that's Ice's thing of course. :) BTW if anyone knows someone that is advanced at Drupal that would be awesome. It is the most amazing CMS, once configured properly and if people can kind of develop for it. Also lots and lots of free or cheap add-ons. ;D

I can set one up and configure it fairly easily, but some functionality are unfamiliar to me. Learning them is an option, but might cause an entry barrier to others.

12. Stu

Stu IceMod Technician
    Staff Member

theres always multiple-themes :p

13. XeoN

XeoN Respected
    Respected Name Changed

Stu my idea was that I would give you an access to this website since its pointless and it will be waste for it just be like that so you could do ANYTHING to it.
    Wing Drupla isn't that hard you know, it takes around 1-2h to locate things that you need, I had website and that forum before and that website was on Drupla CMS but decided to delete website since I had nothing to put on there (that dumb thinking lel), if you want I can set you one up so you can play around with it since I'm REALLLYYY BORED ;C

14. WingEater

Staff Member Respected

Xeon I am not talking out of my ass, but from past experiences. Most people take a pretty long time to learn all of Drupal's core functionalities, let alone the ones added to it by add-ons etc. Basic operation is easy enough, but actually managing a website properly with regards to SEO, some security and most importantly of all custom content is a hell in the beginning. Like Ice said above we might need to look for a new host for the website, then we could just get one with something like "Installatron" and we can mess around with everything, including Drupal.

I am curious though, as I only played around wit Drupal forums for a little bit, was it any good?