IMS Development Blog (#SecretProjectIsOut)

Discussion in 'Community Info & Announcements' started by Stu, Apr 4, 2016.

1. Stu

Stu IceMod Technician
    Staff Member

If this is TL;DR and I catch your interest before the end of the post, there is a form to fill out at the bottom of the post if you are interested.

Today I realized that keeping this project a secret was dumb, as one of my promises after the failure of the dedi was that I would involve the community more in my projects.

Maybe I did it for hype, I don’t know

Basically, a few months ago I was looking at game hosting providers, trying to find a break in the pattern of hosts cramming their servers all onto one box, and I wondered why no hosting company was making use of the cloud to separate their clients off and to allow expansion as-needed.

A couple of days afterwards, I clicked. That would be an excellent solution for Icemod. It allows us to expand and contract based on demand, it provides some level of protection in the event that someone doesn’t pay, and provides redundancy so that in the event that a server should go down, the other servers remain. It also allows us to provide a US location.

To handle payments, I plan to/have set up a wallet system from each user which they top up, and then money is withdrawn from said wallet weekly. Should their wallet become empty, we can hibernate their server which keeps everything in its place, but only costs us £1 (approx..) per month to maintain

Through February, I did a bit of work on a custom panel that would allow for us to so this easily. This is #SecretProject.

Anyway, here is a summary of how I proceeded from the idea.

Firstly, I did some cost analysis of a dedi versus Amazon Web Services (AWS)

(note: tabs at bottom to switch to GBP currencies. These prices were quick math done on my phone sat at an allotment 3 months ago, accuracy not guaranteed. The USD ones are more likely to be accurate.)

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet...yLx7sdVksAhw2D-HSsx7GHlL9w/edit#gid=745189483

As you can see, under 32 slot servers are a lot cheaper than a dedi, and over 32 slot servers are still cheaper than shared hosting.

So, from there, I started playing with a custom panel. I don’t have any earlier screenshots, but this is what I got done casually throughout February.

http://i.imgur.com/7l8UOad.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/w8Wutvm.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/C5OirqS.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/Zz1PftL.jpg

Things that work

· Login system

· Game service database

· Status checkers on front page (mostly)

· Some various libraries for communicating with the servers

· A linux daemon

· Part of the wallet system, paypal support not integrated yet

To-do (may not be complete)

· News/announcements system on front page

· Sync with forums

· Actually being able to create and interact with amazon’s services

· A bridge between the PHP site and the daemon

· Admin panel

· Windows daemon (surprisingly, it’s actually harder than linux)

· Paypal integration.

If you guys have any more suggestions, please feel free to let me know.

If you are interested in participating in an alpha test of this, or you are interested in participating in the finished product, please fill out this form. More information about the alpha period can be found within.

http://goo.gl/forms/XTJv63jXcf

If anyone has any questions or any suggestions or anything of the sort, or I forgot to include something, please reply to this thread and let me know.

@WingEater

• Like Like x 1
    Last edited: Apr 8, 2016
  2. IceQubed

IceQubed IceMod Founder
    Staff Member Respected

I'm IceQubed and I approve this message.

• Like Like x 3
  3. Justice

Justice A dose of Justice

That's a lot of text. ;_;

• Useful Useful x 1
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  4. 1Day2Die

1Day2Die IceMod Deputy
    Staff Member

TL;DR

More servers
    Gut servers
    Cheap servers

5. WingEater

WingEater Forum cleaner and professional spambotbooter
    Staff Member Respected

I am a comically large flightless bird and I approve this approval.

6. 1Day2Die

1Day2Die IceMod Deputy
    Staff Member

I'm German and i consider cause thats what germans do

7. Cake

Cake Delicious Glitch Finder
    Respected Super Donator

This is something to look forward to.

8. Savaloy

Savaloy top warns kek
    Respected

Let me know when this is available, I'd love to get involved. Also, give me a shout if you need my help.

9. Stu

Stu IceMod Technician
    Staff Member

You interested in trying it while it's in alpha or do you want a polished product. Also if you could fill the form in at the bottom of the post it'll help me a lot when it comes to contacting people, and with regards to implementing support for games.

10. Stu

Stu IceMod Technician
    Staff Member

Okay, I am starting to work on this again now exams have calmed down a bit. I have decided I am going to start again and do it differently, however, as I have discovered a much more maintainable, tidier, and cleaner way of doing it. This hopefully should take less time than the first one was going to take, and save us a bunch of time and headache in the future

11. Stu

Stu IceMod Technician
    Staff Member

:[new] I have finished replacing the MVC framework which I was using before because it kinda sucked, and have now implemented a login system, seen below.
    [​IMG]

The next step is to implement account features such as wallet balance, actually being able to edit your account and password, and adding email sending functions